Sunday, August 30, 2015

August Wrap Up

This month I couldn't devour as many books as I would have wanted. I've read only 14 books - some of them great, some of them not...Let's say that I had a pretty average reading experience.

At the beginnig of the month was the BookTubeAThon and you can find my wrap up here. The books I've read during BookTubeAThon are:


Other books I've managed to finish throughout the month of August are:


"Hit Man" by Lawrence Block
Genre: Mystery
Despite giving this book such a rating, I can say that I liked it. The protagonist of the story was a very sympathetic assassin, who has the strangest way of thinking and acting in the world.
I liked this read enough to read the next books in the series.

"Northanger Abbey" by Jane Austen
Genre: Classics
I must say that I liked this book more than I thought I would. The characters were interesting and although the story was not something very original, I still loved it. There were some flaws here and there, but overall this was a really pleasant read.

"The Giver" by Lois Lowry
Genre: Dystopia
I don't know why I haven't read this book earlier. It's awesome. The world the characters lived in was very depressing (at least for me it was) but so well presented that you can actually imagine yourself living in it. Jonas was a really well developed character and you have no problem putting yourself in his shoes.
After reading the book I ended up watching the movie...which was not so great so don't make the same mistake I did.

"Lincoln" by Gore Vidal
Genre: Historical Fiction
I do have a review for this book, which you can find here. I will just say - don't be fooled by my rating, I did like the book...it was just soooo long...

"The Detainee" by Peter Liney
Genre: Dystopia
I have a review for this book too and you can find it here. It was really unique for the dystopian genre. The characters are not what you expect them to be. Overall I recommend it to everyone.


"The Ruined Map" by Kobo Abe
Genre: Mystery
This book was so strange...like all Japanese works...but it was so poorly written. I was confused throughout the whole book. I love mysteries but this one was left unresolved...which is not cool by me. Do not recommend at all...

"Dracula The Un-Dead" by Dacre Stoker and Ian Holt
Genre: Horror
I loved this continuation of Dracula's story. The book was not as scary as "Dracula", but it was still very, very enjoyable.I definitely recommend for all vampire fans.

Genre: Contemporary
I love all of her books and this one is no exception. Heartbreaking as all of her other works, well developed and easy to love characters. The book had some flaws here and there, but I adored it.

"Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" by Seth Grahame-Smith and Jane Austen
Genre: Horror
I won't even write much about this one. For me this book was a classic ruined. I'm sorry. It was not scary, it was not original, the characters were all twisted, as well as the beautiful original story...

"Girl in Hyacinth Blue" by Susan Vreeland
Genre: Historical Fiction
This book was all over the place. The author tried to develop 8 different stories in just under 200 pages and in my opinion she failed miserably. I don't mind if these stories and the characters development are neglected in favor of the history of the painting...but that was not the case. Overall after reading this book, I still knew a little about the painting and almost nothing about its story throughout the ages.

Those were my reads this month. Have you read any of the books mentioned and if you did do you agree with my opinions. Any thoughts are appreciated :)

No comments:

Post a Comment